2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2 Door Hatchback
We purchased this as a second car that I briefly used for my commutes while Winnie got to drive the Rodeo. It was a cute little car that was surprisingly roomy and very maneuverable. With a five speed manual transmission it got great mileage, but a stick shift in stop-and-go traffic proved irritating. Once Winnie learned to drive a stick, this became her car as it proved too impractical for car pooling, which was my normal commuting mode at the time.
|2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2 Door Hatchback|
|Purchased:||– From private party, September 2007, Woodbridge, Virginia, about 96,000 miles
– Traded in for 2009 Nissan Versa
|Features:||– Silver with black interior
– 2.0 Liter 4 cylinder Engine
– 5 speed manual transmission
– Front Wheel Drive
– Power Door Locks, Remote operator
– Air Conditioning
– AM/FM Cassette w/ 6 CD Changer
– Front airbags
– Fold down rear seat for extra rear cargo space
– Headlamps are always on in a “Running Light” mode
– Has cute dash-mounted flower vase. Winnie thoughtfully added yellow silk sunflowers as her custom option.
|Major Repairs:||– Had the brakes rebuilt right after purchasing the car.
– Replaced the water pump, which included replacement of the timing belt.
– Replaced the sensor for the driver’s seat airbag.
|Comments:||A fun car to drive and had a lot more interior space that it would have seemed. It felt good to drive a stick shift again.|
|External Reference:||Wikipedia Entry for Volkswagan New Beetle|
Second shot of the Beetle the day I brought her home. I didn’t get to own an original Beetle back in the 1970’s and early 80’s, although I did get to drive them on occasion. This little car has a lot of the charm of the original models but with some much needed creature comforts included. Like Air Conditioning and a decent stereo.
|Photo of this fun little car right after bringing her home.|
1977 Chevrolet LUV (Isuzu Luv Series Six) Pickup Truck
1979 MG Midget 1500
1980 Chevrolet Chevette 4 door Hatchback
1988 Isuzu LS SpaceCab Pickup Truck
1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta 1.6 Four Door Sedan
1978 Mercedes Benz 200D 4 Door Sedan
1991 Volvo 240 Sedan
2004 Isuzu Rodeo LS SUV
2009 Nissan Versa 1.8S Hatchback
2013 Nissan Versa 1.6SV Sedan
2015 Jeep Cherokee “Latitude”
Final Thoughts and Table of Changes