I may have mentioned this in the past, but I really like Thanksgiving Day. In fact, it’s become my favorite holiday. Notwithstanding that my doctor recently assured me that I was in good health “for a man my age,” just knowing that I have another annual holiday for the chance to give thanks is a good thing.
So, as in year’s past, I want to list the many things Winnie and I are giving thanks for this past year.
Our blessings over this past year include:
- Winnie and I made it through another year still together.
- We both still have good health.
- Our families are all reasonably healthy and reasonably prosperous, although we don’t have the opportunity to see each other as often as I’d like.
- Winnie became an American citizen this past year, after a seven year struggle with the USCIS and acclimating herself to a very different country and way of life.
- I still have a good-paying job. Over this past year I gained a promotion, received a merit award, and my career generally prospered during this harsh economy.
- Winnie and I have the resources to follow our personal interests and hobbies.
- I gained a beautiful new 2010 model motor boat, something that even a year ago I could not have conceived would be possible.
- I gained a kayak, which has opened up an entirely new world of boating and water sports.
- Winnie is continuing to excel at her vegetable and flower gardening, and the local deer are especially thankful to her.
- We gained good tenants in our rental property, a real bonus after the past year’s nightmare of watching people trash all our hard work and financial investment.
- We have good friends, live in a safe neighborhood, and have a warm comfortable home to call our own.
So today, we give thanks for the past year’s blessings. I do need to admit, calling this a day of thanks is somewhat relative, as a lot of turkey’s are probably not especially happy about it. But, it’ll be their finest hour.
So, to all our readers, family and friends; I wish y’all a happy Thanksgiving 2010, with many blessings for a good year to follow.
Advanced Text Block
Careful What You Wish For : Speculating on what our political landscape would look like if Hillary Clinton had been allowed to assume the presidency
A Happy Thanksgiving to All – 2009 : A Thanksgiving wish for 2009.
Having A White Thanksgiving : A Thanksgiving in Northern Virginia, with snow, at a fine dining restaurant.